Sodium Hypochlorite

  • Do not mix or contaminate with ammonia, hydrocarbons, acids, alcohols or ethers.
  • It decomposes slowly during storage with formation of oxygen.
  • The rate of decomposition is highly dependent on the storage temperature.
  • Decomposition rate becomes too high above 85ºF (29.4ºC) and is doubled with the rise of each 10ºF in temperature. UV light also causes marked decomposition.
  • Reactions, especially with organic compounds, can proceed very violently. Many metals including stainless steel are attacked by sodium hypochlorite solutions.

Shelf Life:      Unstable above 40°C, in sunlight, or in contact with acid.

Chemical Formula NaOCl
Molecular Weight 74.44
CAS No. 7681-52-9

Specification

Parameters Average Chemical Analysis
Physical appearance Clear, pale yellow or greenish liquid sharp pungent odor.
Available Chlorine 19.0 – 20.0 % (w/v)
Free NaOH 0.80 – 1.50 %   (w/v)
Iron                 (Fe) 5 ppm max.
Specific Gravity @ 20oC 1.250 – 1.260
Baume degree    @ 20oC 29-30o

 

 

 

Sodium hypochlorite is used on a large scale, as Household bleach, Laundering, Intermediate for chemical manufacturing, Fungicides, Swimming pools, Bleaching paper pulp, textiles, Water treatment etc.
In bulk it is supplied in Rubber lined and FPR tank trucks. Keep in the container supplied and store (in vented, closed, clean non-corrosive and dark containers) in a cool, dry location away from direct sunlight and heat to avoid deterioration. If closed containers become heated, the containers should be vented to release decomposition products (mainly oxygen under normal decomposition). Do not store adjacent to chemicals which may react with the bleach if spillage occurs.
  • Store in a cool place (As low temperature as possible) and protect from light.
  • It must be carried in rubber-lined tanks or Plastic high density polyethylene carboys.
  • Use gloves, goggles, gum boots and wear protective suites during handling.
  • In case of contact with body or eyes, flow plenty water for twenty minutes on eyes and seek medical help immediately.
  • Fire risk when gets in contact with organic material.
  • Toxic by ingestion and strong irritant to body tissues.
Select Language »