Because of its weak basic properties, calcium hydroxide has many and varied uses:
- A flocculant, in water and sewage treatment and improvement of acid soils
- An ingredient in whitewash, mortar, and plaster
- In the tanning industry for neutralization of acid, the liming of hides and skins and the flocculation of waste water
- In the food industry for processing of water (soft drinks)
- As a filler in the manufacture of brake pads, ebonite , paints, rubber for preparation of dry mixes for painting and decorating
- Slaked lime is useful as a cheap alkali for removal of acid gases in, for example, coal gas purification, and absorption of chlorine and recovery of ammonia in the Solvay process.