Caustic soda solid is a hard but brittle white solid.
On exposure to air it easily absorbs water and becomes moist.
It should be handled with care by wearing protective eye glass and rubber hand gloves in order to prevent from being attacked.
Shelf Life: Long life if protected from air and moisture.
|Parameters||Average Chemical Analysis|
|Physical appearance||White deliquescent fused mass.|
|Concentration (NaOH)||98.0 ± 1 %|
|Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)||1.0 % max.|
|Sodium chloride (NaCl)||0.04 % max.|
|Iron (Fe)||20 ppm|
- It is the main raw materials for the production of soap.
- In oil refining industry it is used to remove the acids in the oil and improve the smell and color of the oil & petroleum products.
- In textile industry, caustic soda is used to make rayon and mercerization of cotton.
- In paper making industry, it is used as a reagent to treat wood, rice stalks and other fibers.
- Industrial water treatment: Regeneration of ion exchangers, waste water treatment.
- Food industry: Purification of fats and oils and removal of fatty impurities.
- Caustic soda is used for the extraction and purification of aluminum.