Magnesium Carbonate

The anhydrous salt is practically insoluble in water, acetone, and ammonia. All forms of magnesium carbonate react in acids. At a temperature range between (250°C – 800°C), MgCO3 decomposes to magnesium oxide and carbon dioxide. Magnesium carbonate itself is not toxic. However, its excessive use may cause central nervous system depression and cardiac disturbances. It is slightly hazardous in case of skin and eye contact and may cause respiratory and digestive tract irritation in case of ingestion or inhalation.

Chemical Formula                   :           MgCO3

Molecular Weight                   :           84.32

CAS No.                                 :           546-93-0

 

 

Specification

Parameters                                         Average Chemical Analysis

Physical appearance                :           Free flowing white powder

Magnesium oxide                    :           34-40 %

Calcium oxide                         :           2 % max

Chloride                                  :           0.5 % max

Acid insoluble                         :           0.5 % max

Iron (Fe)                                  :           100 ppm max

Magnesium Carbonate, is used for fireproofing, heat insulating and preparation of effervescent magnesium citrate. It is used as rubber reinforcing agent, in inks, pigments, glass, dentifrices and in cosmetics. It is also used, as filtering medium, color retention agent and anticaking agent.

It is supplied in the packing of 25 kg Polypropylene bags, having polyethylene liner in bags. Keep in a tightly closed container, stored in a cool, dry, ventilated area. Protect against physical damage. Containers of this material may be hazardous when empty since they retain product residues (dust, solids); observe all warnings and precautions listed for the product.

  • Magnesium carbonate itself is not toxic. However, its excessive use may cause central nervous system depression and cardiac disturbances.
  • It is slightly hazardous in case of skin and eye contact and may cause respiratory and digestive tract irritation in case of ingestion or inhalation.